2017 Yamaha YZF-R3 ABS
Call for Price
Yamaha has raised the bar again in the entry sports class with the addition of ABS braking to very popular R3. Sporting a twin cylinder 320 cc engine and an ultra lightweight chassis, the R3 offers a solid combination of class-leading power and light, agile handling. Add in an easy to ride personality and confidence inspiring ABS brakes and you have the perfect recipe for a super fun riding experience !
Performance: Powering the R3 is a 320 cc, DOHC, parallel twin featuring a 4-valve cylinder head, 32 mm throttle body fuel injection and 6-speed transmission. Dig a bit deeper and you will find many of the high tech features found in our R6 power plant inside this engine too. Highway speeds are easily obtainable making the R3 a very versatile machine.
Easy Riding: The R3 has been designed to provide a fun, enjoyable riding experience. To R3 utilizes a lightweight diamond type steel frame which is narrow and compact with a low 780 mm (30.7") seat height. The addition of ABS gives you piece of mind while braking under pressure or in wet conditions.
- ABS equipped brakes
- Lightweight & compact, 320cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), fuel injected, inline-twin cylinder engine. The engine has been designed to provide solid performance right across the rev range, with very linear throttle response, low vibration & excellent fuel economy.
- Downdraft style, compact combustion chamber: 4-valves per cylinder; straight intake path into the combustion chamber for excellent power output; 4-valves per cylinder enhances the low to midrange torque
- The YZF-R3 uses regular 87 octane gas
- Intake valves are 26 mm in diameter & exhaust valves are 22.5 mm: Isonite surface treatment on the valve stems for improved durability & wear resistance; valves feature carbon cutters on the valve stems to help reduce carbon build-up during slower speed operation
- Valve adjustment interval is every 42,000 kms.
- Automatic cam chain tensioner: reduces mechanical engine noise & maintenance
- Lightweight, all aluminum DiASil cylinder (die cast all aluminum cylinder with silicone content): offers outstanding cooling performance / heat dissipation for consistent power delivery; reduces weight since there are no heavy liners & cylinder is made completely of aluminum
- Offset cylinder design: offsets the cylinder 7 mm relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side); reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke; improved power output & improved fuel economy
- 180 degree crankshaft with uneven firing order: helps reduce "pumping losses" for maximum power output; provides an interesting exhaust note
- Gear driven "primary coupled-force" balancer shaft: reduces engine vibration for excellent rider comfort
- Lightweight forged aluminum pistons: provide fast engine response; reduced weight; reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Carburized connecting rods (carburizing is a form heat treating): excellent strength & durability
- "Closed loop" 32 mm throttle body fuel injection system: system uses an idle speed controller (ISC) to maintain a steady idle regardless of engine temperature; 12 hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization; system is "tuned" to provide excellent "ride ability" & "linear" throttle control: "closed loop system" uses an oxygen sensor to "sniff" spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions; fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Air box utilizes a viscous paper type air filter.
- Compact, 6-speed transmission: ratios specially designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine; 5th & 6th gears are overdrive gears to reduce engine rpms at highway speeds
- Compact, wet-type, multi-plate clutch: ensures consistent, positive shifting; light, easy clutch lever pull.
- Low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system: utilizes a short design muffler fitted with a 3-way catalyzer to reduce exhaust emissions; low mounted design centralizes mass for agile handling & lightweight feeling
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI): produces a strong spark for fast starts; provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Easy access spin-on type oil filter & engine oil drain plug: fast & easy oil changes; oil change interval is 5,000 kms after the initial 1,000 km break-in oil change
- Air Induction System (AIS... not ram air): reduces harmful exhaust emissions; injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions
- Lightweight, diamond-type, high tensile, steel frame: features an optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling with excellent stability; engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design; frame features a mix of both solid & rubber engine mounts; Electrostatic paint helps prevent corrosion
- The riding position is one of the most important features of the R3. Despite its super sport styling the R3 offers excellent rider comfort thanks to its upright riding position.
- Key chassis geometry figures include: 1380 mm (54.3") wheelbase; 25 degrees of rake & 95 mm of trail; 50 / 50 front to rear weight distribution; chassis dimensions and shape have been designed to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity to provide the rider with light, agile handling
- Tapered, long design, high tensile steel swingarm: lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance; excellent rear wheel traction & control
- 41mm KYB conventional style fork offers 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel: plastic chip guards help prevent damage to the fork tubes & seals
- Adjustable Monocross link-less rear suspension with 125 mm (4.9") of wheel travel: features a single KYB rear shock adjustable for 7-positions of spring pre-load; adjustable design allows rider to tailor pre-load settings to match load & road condition
- ABS equipped 298 mm floating front disc brake squeezed by a twin piston caliper: provides solid stopping power; brake force & feel are tailored towards new riders
- ABS equipped 220 mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS): controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass; when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up; ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke mag wheels: reduce unsprung weight for great handling & suspension performance; front wheel size is MT2.75-17 fitted with a 110/70-17 tire; rear wheel is MT4.00 fitted with a 140/70-17 tire; Lightweight hollow axles front & rear.
- Clip-on style handlebars: provide a super sport image but offer a comfortable, more upright riding position since they are mounted above the top triple clamp
- 14-litre fuel tank: offers a slim design with great knee grip; "reserve" portion of the tank is 3 litres (low fuel light will illuminate); tank is steel with tough, yet stylish plastic covers, which can reduce costs in the event of damage
- Separate rider & passenger seats with low 780 mm (30.7") seat height: offer excellent comfort; narrow design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground; passenger seat can be removed & replaced by the optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl if desired
- Full featured liquid crystal multi-function meter: functions include: centrally located analogue tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since the low fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, plus instant & average fuel consumption; other features include: temperature gauge, oil change indicator & adjustable shift light; back lighting is adjustable
- Race inspired full fairing: provides that eye catching super sport image; helps reduce wind on the rider for a comfort ride
- Reverse slant, dual multi-reflector 55 watt halogen headlights.
- Brilliant, 24 - LED rear tail light: unique running / brake light display
- Helmet holder
- Lightweight aluminum footrests & mounts
- Threaded mounts on swingarm for rear race type stand
- Excessive lean angle sensor... if unit is on its side the engine will shut down
- Lockable steering
- Folding mirrors
- Stylish rear fender extension helps reduce splash in wet conditions
- Lightweight, low-maintenance sealed battery (batteries should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool coupler is located under the passenger seat. This system can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem.
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), in-line twin
- Displacement: 321cc
- Bore and Stroke: 68 x 44.1 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.2:1
- Fuel Delivery: 32 mm throttle body F.I.
- Estimated Fuel Consumption±: 22.4 kpl / 63.3 mpg (Imp.)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final Drive: O ring chain
- Suspension (Front): 41 mm fork / 130 mm (5.1 in.) wheel travel
- Suspension (Rear): Adjustable Monocross / 125 mm (4.9 in.) wheel travel
- Brakes (Front): 298 mm disc / twin piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Brakes (Rear): 220 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Tires (Front): 110/70-17
- Tires (Rear): 140/70-17
- Length: 2,090 mm (82.3 in.)
- Width: 720 mm (28.3 in.)
- Height: 1,135 mm (44.7 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,380 mm (54.3 in.)
- Rake / Trail: 25 deg. / 95 mm (3.7 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 160 mm (6.3 in.)
- Seat Height: 780 mm (30.7 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 14 L (3.1 Imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 169 kg (373 lb.)
- Colour(s): Metallic White
- Engine Type
- DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), in-line twin
- Bore and Stroke
- 68 x 44.1 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- 32 mm throttle body F.I.
- Final Drive
- O ring chain
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm fork / 130 mm (5.1 in.) wheel travel
- Rear Suspension
- Adjustable Monocross / 125 mm (4.9 in.) wheel travel
- Front Brakes
- 298 mm disc / twin piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Rear Brakes
- 220 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 1,380 mm (54.3 in.)
- Seat Height
- 780 mm (30.7 in.)
- 25 deg.
- 95 mm (3.7 in.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 14 L (3.1 Imp. gal.)
- 22.4 kpl (63.3 mpg (Imp.))
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 169 kg (373 lb.)
- Metallic White